Updates

• Added info on Jimmy Ford, thanks to Volker Houghton. • Extended and corrected the post on Happy Harold Thaxton (long overdue), thanks to everyone who sent in memories and information! • Added information to the Jim Murray post, provided by Mike Doyle, Dennis Rogers, and Marty Scarbrough. • Expanded the information on Charlie Dial found in the Little Shoe post.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Inn Truders story

Doug and the Inn Truders, ca. 1964

While not much information on Doug and the Inn Truders (or: Inn-Truders) survived, we should be glad that this band did a record so we can enjoy their style of late 1950s/early 1960s Rock'n'Roll. Their instrumental piece "What's Up" is dominated by the bands' lead guitarist, the drummer does a fine rhythm and band members are shouting the song's title from time to time. This type of instrumental pieces were common in those days because they were relatively easy to play, so every local teenage Rock'n'Roll band was able to do some songs.

Doug and the Inn Truders were a Minnesota based Rock'n'Roll band. They recorded "What's Up" in 1964 for the Wichita, Kansas, based Aircap Records. Although not nationally successful, they must have built some reputation as an enjoyable group, since they were featured in band contests in Wichita, Kansas. One time band member Rick Meyer remembers playing at the Joyland, the Seneca Lounge, and the Cotillion.

Neal McGaugh, a band member of the Outcasts, remembers the Witchita band scene:
"When the battles moved to the Cotillion, that's when all the big rivalry started--'65, '66.  We always ended up battling big horn bands, The Red Dogs, Doug and the Inn-truders.  We didn't get too far against them.  We didn't have the kind of music that the judges liked."
It seems that the Inn Truders were quite popular. Rick Meyer joined the band on sax around 1964. The only photo I have of the Inn Truders shows no saxophone player, which suggests that it was taken before 1964. It's not known to me where Doug and the Inn Truders ended up. Their "What's Up" was featured on the 1983 White Label LP "Minnesota Rock-a-Billy-Rock, Volume 3." You can listen to it on Youtube since I have some trouble uploading files at the moment.

Picture sleeve of "What's Up" b/w "Starring My Broken Heart." Thanks to Doug of Minneapolis.
Sources: Pat O'Connor: Moody's Skidrow Beanery, Rowfant Press 1999

9 comments:

Bob said...

From 1964, on a Wichita, Kansas label.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I was given a box of items that belonged to his Aunt Mary. In the box was a autographed photo of the Doug and the Inn-Truders and a signed copy of their record on Aircap records. We've often wondered who these gentleman were and now we know. Too bad we couldn't get these items to one of their family members.

Mellow said...

Thank you very much for this nice story.

Hymie said...

Pat O'Connor here--I wrote the story with the quotes from McGaugh and Meyer. I would appreciate a citation: Moody's Skidrow Beanery, Rowfant Press 1999.

Mellow said...

Pat, I have added a reference to your story. Hope it's okay.

Greg Dunn said...

Wow! I don't know who wrote this story, but I was amazed to find it. I just typed 'Doug & The Inn-Truders in google on a whim, and up this came. My name is Greg Dunn, and I was the drummer in this group and played on the record of 'What's Up'. To the writer of the story, my email is greg-sharon@att.net. I can tell you alot about our band as I was with them all through high school. By the way, we were all from Wichita, Ks. not Minn. I'd be glad to give you more of our story. This really brings back alot of memories. Thanks for sharing what you had. Greg Dunn 9-3-2011. Straight-up Midinght.

Anonymous said...

wow cant believe I found this - I was with Doug and Rick and Greg in the late 60s - rogerwalls.com

Unknown said...

Googled it also, was surprised to find this. My father is Art Martinez ( far left). He just had his record he had put on cd to give to us sons for Christmas. He is still kickin in on the west side of Wichita. Great article!

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! ❤️