Welcome to Mellow's Log Cabin. This blog's purpose is to supply information on a diversity of American southern music - ranging from country, blues, old-time and folk to R&B, rock'n'roll and rockabilly. I regularly present my research results about artists, labels, shows and also give guest writers a chance to publish their texts here on occasion.

UPDATES

• Update on Les Randall acetate.
• Thanks to Bob more info on Bill Harris.
• Added info on Reavis Recording Studio.

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Aiken County String Band day

It has been a long time ago since I posted the last "day" post but I'll try to keep them now running every week again. It is getting harder to chose artists I can present with some info along the music or not to take artists I've presented before. The Aiken County String Band is one of these bands I know nothing about and they remain a mystery to old-time music fans around the world. It is believed that they came from Graniteville, South Carolina. Not one single member could be identified and after their one session for OKeh in 1927, they disappeared completely from the recording scene. During a field session held by OKeh Records in Winstom-Salem, North Carolina, the Aiken County String Band recorded six tunes during the morning hours of September 19, 1927, in a mobile recording studio. All of them were released on OKeh and songs such as "Carolina Stompdown" and "Hard Times Breakdown" were reissued on CD recently.

I selected two songs of them to download:
1. Savannah River Stride
2. Hard Times Breakdown

No comments: