Welcome to Mellow's Log Cabin. This blog's purpose is to supply information on a diversity of American southern music - ranging from country, blues, old-time and folk to R&B, rock'n'roll and rockabilly. I regularly present my research results about artists, labels, shows and also give guest writers a chance to publish their texts here on occasion.

UPDATES

• Added info on Reavis Recording Studio.
• Additions to Eddie Bond discography.
• Massive update on Blake Records. Thanks to Eric from Goner Records (Memphis, TN)!

Search This Blog

Monday, February 1, 2010

Country & Western CD2

What I found always interesting concerning low-budget comps was either the soundalike version or the many re-recordings of the hits by the original artists, which is the case here. None of these re-recordings reached the musical quality of the originals, but they're still good sometimes, although they lost much of their charm. But "That's the Way It Goes"... as Durwood Dailey would say. Listen to Billy Grammer's "Papa and Mama" and tell me what you think about that song.

Download

track list:
1. Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues
2. Jim Croce - Workin' at the Car Wash Blues
3. Don Gibson - Lonesome Number One
4. Bobby Bare - Sylvia's Mother
5. Wanda Jackson - Crazy
6. John Denver - A Little Further North
7. George Kent - Hello, I'm a Jukebox
8. Linda Manning - If Only For a Moment
9. Kitty Wells - Password
10. George Kent - I Always Did Like Leavenworth
11. Ferlin Husky - I Could Sing All Night
12. Billy Grammer - Papa and Mama
13. Barbara Perry - Why Can't Women Have a Good Beer Drinking Song
14. Dave Dudley - My Hometown Made a Change
15. Conway Twitty - Hello Darlin'
16. David Price - Love Him Tender, Sweet Jesus

2 comments:

Floyd said...

Listening to Billy Grammer there made me go threw my old records and then I remembered recording the Opry in the late 60's out on the back step under the stars and hearing Billy sing and play fantastic guitar. I found some of those recordings and as the Opry faded in and out I could here the crickets and smell the worm damp air just like it was yesterday. Thanks I always realy liked Billy Grammer and his guitar. Floyd

Mellow said...

Thanks Floyd for your always kind words. I really appreciate them. If you have a special request, feel free to ask.

Regards