Bear Family and the Dutch label Smith&Co recently anounced their new CD releases for the month of Febuary. There are great discs. Look what's coming up:
1. Big Jeff Bess - Tennessee Home Brew: a CD containing Bess' complete recordings he made in the late 1940s, early 1950s. Bess was a Nashville country music scene personality during these years and gave many later artists such as Chet Atkins or George McCormick a start.
2. Jimmy Donley - The Shape You Left Me In: complete recordings 1957-1960 by Donley, who was a great swamp pop singer and penned many tunes for Fats Domino.
3. Jimmy Edwards - Love Bug Crawl: Edward's 1957 rockabilly hit "Love Bug Crawl" is familiar with most rockabilly fans. Bear family issues now his complete recordings for Lamp, Mercury and RCA.
4. Johnny Horton - The Fantastic: A vinyl LP containing some of Horton's early rockabilly recordings.
5. Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Starclub: Lewis' legendary live recordings at the Starclub in Hamburg, Germany, at which also the Beatles played.
6. VA - A Girl Named Johnny Cash: tribute songs to country stars sung by such artists as Gordon Terry, Merle Haggard and others.
7. Live at Town Hall Party: three new DVDs containing six episodes from the famed Town Hall Party show out of Compton, California.
8. Also scheduled but out of scope for me: Christine Kittrell, Toni Sailer, Robert Mitchum, Smiley Lewis, Jack Elliot.
1. VA - Great Rock'n'Roll Instrumentals Vol.2: a collection of rock & roll instrumental songs famous and obscure artists.
2. VA - Great British Rock'n'Roll Vol.4: more rock & roll from the UK.
3. VA - Great Bristish Skiffle Vol.4: containing classic skiffle recordings from the 1950s, also originally from the UK.
4. VA - Great Rockabilly Vol.4: the fourth edition of this wonderful series, featuring Gene Vincent, Johnny Cash, Johnny Burnette, Carl Perkins, Art Adams, Vern Pullens and more.