Welcome to Mellow's Log Cabin. This blog's purpose is to supply information on a diversity of American southern music - ranging from country, blues, old-time and folk to R&B, rock'n'roll and rockabilly. I regularly present my research results about artists, labels, shows and also give guest writers a chance to publish their texts here on occasion.

UPDATES

• Added info on Reavis Recording Studio.
• Additions to Eddie Bond discography.
• Massive update on Blake Records. Thanks to Eric from Goner Records (Memphis, TN)!

Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Billy Lee Riley tribute show

Since Red Neckerson sent me the picture above some days ago, I was always thinking about how famous and popular Billy Lee Riley was in the rockabilly music scene, but also outside of it. This poster announces a tribute show to Riley on August 30 in Newport, Arkansas.

The line-up for this show ist just amazing, old rockabilly legends as well as new top artists will pay tribute to one of the last rockabilly legends. Sonny Burgess & the Pacers will appear along with former Johnny Cash drummer W.S. Holland and band and, another Sun (or: Phillips Int.) artist, Carl Mann. Other 'legends' will be Larry Donn, Dale Hawkins, Jimmy Van Eaton (Riley's long-time drummer and staff drummer for Sun) and Smoochy Smith, also known for his piano work with Riley and other Sun artists like Kenny Parchman.

I hope (and I'm quite sure) that this concert will remember Billy Lee Riley as it should be. I would be there, but Arkansas's far far away...

2 comments:

1verycoolguy said...

I was never into Billy Lee Riley. In fact I never heard of him until a couple of years ago. Now I try to find all that I can by him. Yes, he will be missed by many. Keep up your good work.

rascuachero54 said...

It's going to be a hell of a show, only two and a half hours from my home and due to a set of unforeseen circumstances, I won't be able to make it, and I was so looking forward to interviewing Larry Donn. Hurts.