Welcome to Mellow's Log Cabin. This blog's purpose is to supply information on a diversity of American southern music - ranging from country, blues, old-time and folk to R&B, rock'n'roll and rockabilly. I regularly present my research results about artists, labels, shows and also give guest writers a chance to publish their texts here on occasion.

UPDATES

• Additions to Eddie Bond discography.
• Massive update on Blake Records. Thanks to Eric from Goner Records (Memphis, TN)!
• Discography updates on Willie Gregg.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Bill Monroe - Uncle Pen



Bill Monroe and his Bluegrass Boys are fiddlin' at the Grand Ole Opry show on Agust 6, 1965. They do "Uncle Pen", one of my all-time Bill Monroe favorites. The fiddler (I don't know who's the guy) does a good job and Monroe's mandolin solo is awesome. They speeded it up just a little bit, but I think that what Bluegrass is all about. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Neil said...

It's Gene Lowinger on fiddle, a young Pete Rowan on guitar, James Monroe (Bill's son) on bass, and the left-handed banjo player, Don Lineberger.

Mellow said...

Thanks for the info. Sure would like to know what James Monroe is doing now...

Neil said...

Mellow, James still has his own bluegrass band, the Midnight Ramblers, which plays the festival circuit, as well as running Bill Monroe Enterprises (I think that's the name) which licenses recordings, songs, and other Monroe-related things.

Mellow said...

Hmkay... But he doesn't record anymore, right? I cannot find much on the web 'bout him.

Neil said...

I think it's fair to say that he doesn't record or play live shows much anymore. While he has a pleasant voice, he has always had more hubris than talent, apparently believing that talent was genetic, and practice and study were unnecessary. His records and live shows reflect that.

I'm perhaps being too hard on him; his "I Haven't Seen Mary In Years" is one of my favorite songs.

Mellow said...

My favorite is "The Way I Am" from the album of the same name - a dreamy and wonderful bluegras song, although all of his songs are good.