Welcome to Mellow's Log Cabin. This blog's purpose is to supply information on a diversity of American southern music - ranging from country, blues, old-time and folk to R&B, rock'n'roll and rockabilly. I regularly present my research results about artists, labels, shows and also give guest writers a chance to publish their texts here on occasion.

UPDATES

• Update on Les Randall acetate.
• Thanks to Bob more info on Bill Harris.
• Added info on Reavis Recording Studio.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Something about Dennis Herrold

1. Hip Hip Baby
2. Make With The Lovin'

Dennis Herrold was on of the obscure people in rockabilly music, but he did a fine job when he recorded four songs for Imperial Records. Two of them "Hip Hip Baby" b/w "Make with the Lovin'" were released in 1958 and two other songs ("You Arouse My Curiosity" and one unknown tape) stayed unissued. All I know about him is:

Dennis Herrold was a rockabilly singer who was active between 1957 and 1958 in the Dallas, TX, area. He recorded four songs written by W. Dickerson, with whom he was befriended. Two of Herrold's cuts were issued in January 1958 ("Hip Hip Baby" b/w "Make with the Lovin'"). There's one unissued tape called "You Arouse My Curiosity" and Dave Travis stated in 2008, that there's also a fourth song, which existence still remains a mystery. Herrold was also a bit of a songwriter penning Ricky Nelson's song "Stood Up". Anyway, his single on Imperial wasn't as succesful as it sounds and he vanished from the music scene. If you've got more information on Dennis Herrold, please contact me over the comments or at my e-mail adress.

Nobody knows where Herrold came from, what he did after his musical career and if he still lives, but I know the chords and the words for his great rocker "Make with the Lovin'", here they are cats:

(E)When I pick up my girl at eight
It's hard for me to have to wait
(A)To hear her say, when it gets late (E)
(E)Make with the lovin' honey
Make with the lovin' baby
Make with the lovin' honey
(B7)Make true love to me(E)

When dining an' dancing at its end
The night is over, we just begin
What I love most is hear her sayin'
Make with the lovin' honey
Make with the lovin' baby
Make with the lovin' honey
Make true love to me

I take her in my arms so tight
And squeeze her close with all my might
That's when she sobs and says all right
Make with the lovin' honey
Make with the lovin' baby
Make with the lovin' honey
Make true love to me

Great day will be when we join hands
Up before a preacherman
To hear her whisper once again
Make with the lovin' honey
Make with the lovin' baby
Make with the lovin' honey
Make true love to me

Make with the lovin' honey
Make with the lovin' baby
Make with the lovin' honey
Make with the lovin' baby


I'm not quite sure if they're allright, maybe you can also play the following chords, but in any case, the song is based on blues chords:

(E)When I pick up my girl at eight
It's hard for me to have to wait
(E7)To hear her say, when it gets late
(E)Make with the lovin' honey
(A)Make with the lovin' baby
(E)Make with the lovin' honey
(B7)Make true love (A7) to me(E)


Please feel free to contact me, if you've got additions.

1 comment:

peter stewart said...

iv not long herd of this fella hip hop baby what a tune mind blowing